The original First Baptist Church of Maryville at 209 East Main Street was officially organized on March 4, 1945 with thirty-six members. By 1985 the congregation recognized the need to relocate to a new facility. Approximately 30 members stepped out in faith and purchased six acres at 2184 Vadalabene Drive behind Anderson Hospital. An educational building was built with the fellowship hall serving as the sanctuary. Due to rapid growth, two worship services were held Sunday mornings from December 1988 to March 1991 until the new 500 seat sanctuary was completed. By 1993 the church added two additional education wings.
In 1995 the church stepped out in faith again and purchased 35 acres at 7110 Illinois State Route 162 in anticipation of GodÃ•s work in the community. After building an 1000 seat sanctuary the first service was held on July 9, 2000 with over 1200 in attendance. By March 2001 the church added an additional 9:15 a.m. worship service along with the 10:45 a.m. service on Sunday morning to accommodate additional growth.
In 2008 the church moved to three services and added a parking lot in the rear to accommodate growth. The newest addition on the west side includes new classroom space, expands children’s’ ministries, and opens a three hundred seat chapel. Recently, FBCM has been averaging over 1500 in attendance for Sunday morning worship with over 1100 attending Sunday School. God continues to bless our fellowship with spiritual and numeric growth.